|DOT & Trucking Specific Topics|
|DOT Drugs & Alcohol||CDL Training|
|DOT Driving Safety||DOT HazMat|
New motor carriers just starting out and established company with years of experience, benefit from a well managed safety training and driver education program. Keep your drivers on the job by complying with DOT regulations. The simple equation is that driver safety is good for your business. Tried and tested safety instruction can save lives, reduce injuries, and improve your bottom line.
Crashes are devastating in terms of human fatality and injury. In addition they inflict unnecessary financial cost, damaged reputations, and inability to attract and retain quality drivers.
If you are still wondering whether driver safety training videos are worth the costs consider the following facts:
- In 2005, there were 5,212 fatalities and 91,993 injuries from large truck crashes, and 335 fatalities and 14,283 injuries from bus crashes.
- The average cost of a large truck crash involving a fatality is $3.6 million per crash.
- A crash with injuries costs almost $200,000 per crash.
- The average cost of all large truck crashes is about $91,000 per crash (Source: FMCSA)
The goods news is that many accidents are preventable; for example:
- In 1997, 22% of large truck fatal crashes involving more than one vehicle were speeding-related. [Speeding Study]
- In 2003, about 2% of drivers with a commercial driver's license (CDL) used controlled substances, and 0.2% used alcohol (0.04 or higher blood alcohol content) while performing their duties. [Drug and Alcohol Survey]
- 5.5% of fatal truck crashes are caused by driver fatigue. [Hours of Service News Release]
- A 2006 study found that only 59% of commercial motor vehicle (CMV) drivers wear safety belts. In 2005, of the 696 CMV drivers who died in truck crashes, 344 were not wearing safety belts. [Safety Belt Studies]
- Research has shown that there is a significant relationship between driver job change rate (turnover) and crash involvement. [Driver Retention] Source:FMCSA
Video training is a simple cost effective way to develop a proactive approach to accident prevention. Considering the potential costs and threats to the health of your business you can't afford not to make the small investment needed to get your driver safety program started. The Training Network has all of your DOT and CDL training needs.